* Box Turtle are native species of (Terrapene) of North America (USA and Mexico), of which there are about twelve varieties, characterized by a dome shell, They are allowed to escape the attackers, , The box turtle has become one of the most desirable animals to have as a pet, although its needs in the environment are complex.
* There are two known box turtles:
– the decorative box turtles and the eastern box tortoise.
– Before hibernation, box turtles tend to move further in the forest, where they make a room for winter pans, decorative box turtles dig rooms up to 50 cm, while the eastern box turtle sleeps at a depth of about 10 cm. Turtles are active throughout the year, other box turtles are more active at higher temperatures and there are species that are only active during wet seasons.
How to raise a turtle box?
* Box size suitable box turtle:
-The turtle may need some space to move inside. Even if they do not seem to move much, they need to provide a wide space or start to suffer, so a minimum of 20 gallons should be provided. The larger the box and the house, the better to turtles.
* The appropriate ground for box turtle living spaces:
-You should know that the substrate placed on the floor of the box of any turtle is as important as anything else, and the best substrates are the wet substrate or bedding that contains a large or medium bark mixed with a wet element such as algae. You can also mix sand and soil. They work well with turtles, but should not be completely dry, because the dry substrate causes skin problems when a turtle will affect health and well being. For optimal care, health and comfort, the substrate must be cleaned every week.
* Temperature turtle living place box:
– These turtles like most reptiles and turtles like to lie in the sun when you feel like it, so it is a good idea for them to set up a double zone in the temperature of their environment, ideally, there should be one side of the turtle’s living place includes a bright light Between 75-100 watts, while the hot side keeps the temperature between 80 – 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and you should guard the other side to stay slightly cool, and its temperature is between 70 – 80 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, not more than 60 degrees Fahrenheit at night , And all lights must be turned on at night to be an alternative source of heat, you may need it To maintain heat if the temperature drops to less than 60 degrees at night.
*Food and water turtle box:
When we keeps the box turtles as pets, it is often suffer because its food needs are seldom met. In order to prevent the development of any food problem that may affect the tortoise, the food should be balanced, provide plenty of diversity within its diet, To care for the food systems of turtles such as :
– Introduce vegetables:
Vegetables should be the bulk of the turtle food box system and preferably green leafy vegetables such as spinach, cabbage, lettuce and broccoli.
– Introduction of fruits:
Turtle box loves to eat fruit, but unfortunately, fruits alone may not provide the necessary minerals for the turtle , so when feeding them fruits, should only form a small part of the diet, and the favorite fruits of box turtles include: strawberries, tomatoes, apples and berries.
– Protein introduction:
A high percentage of protein should also be included in foods that are usually in the world of turtles, including earthworms, snails and mollusks. They can also be fed to small mice or very small chunks. There is nothing wrong with dry feeds and vitamin-fortified food, but only about five Percent of turtle food, avoid feeding turtle cat food because it has a very high percentage of fat and protein.
*Importance of daily pet control:
-You must recognize the turtles by spending time with them every day and this will help you quickly monitor any changes that may indicate a decline in their health. How to Take Care of Crested Gecko. This way you can make immediate changes in your care and give your favorite turtle the best care, this will help your turtles to live Longer life.